What we'll do?
The southernmost trekking circuit of the world goes through Dientes de Navarino Massif, 42 km (26 miles) distance approximately, 5-hour walking average per day, reaching a max. altitude of 1.000m from east to west, trekking by rural paths, shrub forests, peat-lands, valleys, slopes, lakes and rivers.
Looking north from the summit, you will be able to see the imposing Beagle Channel, Puerto Williams and Ushuaia. Looking south, you will have a wide view of Nassau bay, Wollaston islands and the mythical Cape Horn.
Day 1 / Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams or Ushuaia - Puerto Williams
From Punta Arenas:
Fly on Aerovias DAP to Puerto Williams. During the flight enjoy the overwhelming views of amazing landscapes, the Strait of Magellan, the beautiful glaciers of Darwin Mountain Range, and the Beagle Channel. (Flight time will vary according to the aircraft available on the day, 50 minutes to 1:20 hr.). Reception at airdrome and short transfer to the Lodge.
After immigration process and port-tax payment at Ushuaia’s port in Argentina, sail across the Beagle Channel to reach, after approximately 30 minutes, Puerto Navarino in the Chilean side. The navigation is performed on board a small-size-semi-rigid motorboat.
Upon arrival at Puerto Navarino you will be picked up and transferred on a 54-km/34 mile ride to Puerto Williams (1:40hr approx.) to do the immigration process in Chile. Once this process is completed, you will be transferred to the Lodge to enjoy a welcome aperitif and lunch.
In the afternoon the adventure begins, choosing one of our excursions, designed to get acquainted with the nature and culture of the island. Our expedition leader will present the excursions available from our excursion menu (City tour Puerto Williams, Horseride, Kayak, Visit to Omora botanical park, Bird-watching, etc).
In the evening, we invite you to attend a lecture with our trekking specialized guide who will brief you on the next day activities and the complete circuit.
Day 2 / Trekking 5 hours - 3,7 miles.
After breakfast, short transfer to the trekking trailhead. This day you will reach Lake del Salto, which is located at the end of Robalo Valley. There are two possible routes to follow, but the right one will be chosen according on the weather conditions of that day:
1) From the top of the eastern slope of the Róbalo Valley: from the trailhead (100m height), climb up for 90 minutes to reach Cerro Bandera (590m height), where you will enjoy a beautiful panoramic view over Puerto Williams and the Beagle Channel. Then, continue for about 2 to 3 hours along Robalo Valley slope, over the top line of vegetation. At the end of the trail descent for about a half an hour to finally reach Lake del Salto (490m.), where our first camping site will be set up.
2) From Valley Robalo floor: Ascent from the valley floor, most of the time through the forest. Dientes of Navarino Massif will be approached gradually. Several lagoons, lakes and beaver dams will be observed. Set camp on the shore of Lake del Salto.
Day 3 / Trekking 8 hours - 11 miles.
Within two hours of walking, face three successive ascents (716, 800 and 765m.) that will allow you to go through Dientes de Navarino Range to finally reach its southern slope. This spot has surprising views over Nassau Bay and the Wollaston Islands, which are part of the archipelago of Cape Horn. After bordering several lakes, climb up to Paso Ventarrón (696m.), where breathtaking views over the southern slope of the Dientes de Navarino and the Codrington Mountains await. Later proceed on a soft hike down towards Guerrico Pass to finally reach Lake Martillo, site to set-up the second camp. Most of the day, the trek is on rocky grounds.
Day 4 / Trekking 5 hours - 5,6 miles.
From Lake Martillo the Guerrico Valley wide opens. Walk for 3 hours over less rocky grounds for some periods and even through the forest. Beautiful views over the picturesque Lindemayer Mountains. Ascent towards Paso Virginia (90 minutes for 860m height: 440m difference). The magnificent view covers mountains and sea areas of Tierra del Fuego. Descend for about 90 minutes to reach the well protected camping site in the forest, on the shore of Lake Las Guanacas.
Day 5 / Trekking 5 hours - 5,6 miles / Arrival to the Lodge.
On this morning, trek down for 9 km up to the sea-level. First walk down through the forest, and then on clear ground (460m difference in 3 hrs.). Upon arrival to the main pathway, meet your vehicle to be transferred to the Lodge, where you will be welcomed with a cocktail and lunch. Rest of the day at leisure, sharing experiences and celebrating to have completed the southern-most trekking in the world. Dinner and accommodation.
Day 6 / Puerto Williams - Punta Arenas or Puerto Williams - Ushuaia.
After breakfast, at the agreed time take the transfer to Puerto Williams’ airfield for your flight to Punta Arenas, or if you are going to Ushuaia you will be taken to the Port Authority Office, then to Puerto Navarino to embark your motor-boat to Ushuaia (Argentina).More...
- Notice : No shower or restroom facilities available during the whole circuit.
- Important : This program is suitable for walkers in good physical conditions with a good training level.
- Notice : Trekking will always be subject to weather conditions. For the safety of all participants.
- Important : Recommend travel insurance.
- Equipment : Recommend equipment for low tempetures.
- Difficulty : Strenuous.
- Breakfasts, lunches and dinners throughout the program.
- Meals in the Lodge include one drink per person (mineral water, or soft drink, or one glass of wine, or one beer).
- Food rations throughout the circuit program.
- Accommodation in the Lodge during the first and the last night of the program.
- 3 nights camping tent accommodation based on double occupancy.
- Half day excursion on the arrival day.
- Camping equipment: tent, sleeping bag, mat, stoves, cookware (pot, cutlery, plates, mug).
- Trekking sticks, head-lantern, leg-warmers.
- Porters. Each participant must transport their own personal belonging, including the mat and the sleeping bag previously assigned.
- Briefing of the program on the first evening in the lodge.
- Specialized bilingual English/Spanish guide.
- Airport taxes and flights from and to Punta Arenas, 20kg max of luggage per person.
- International transfer by boat plus land transfer from and to Ushuaia port.
This program starts from Punta Arenas (Chile) or from Ushuaia (Argentina). Let us know in advance to organize the program.
Read our Terms and Conditions where our cancellation policies and changes are defined. Always remember to plan your trips in advance.